Monday, November 12, 2012

Award Winning Vegan Chocolate Chip Scones (Christine's Accidental Scones)



Yep… you read that right! Award winning! :) I entered these little scones in a bake off and won third place! I won't get fame and fortune but I did win a $25 dollar Amex gift card and bragging rights! And maybe next time someone enters a vegan dish into a bake off the competition will be afraid... very afraid! :)  Don't mess with vegans!

I must share a little back story on this recipe, I happened upon it… it’s mine, but I created it by accident... so I guess you can call these my accidental scones! 

I’m not an experienced baker; the truth is, I have never baked anything in my life that didn't come in a box or a tube. Now that I am engaged in this new lifestyle, I cook a lot more often than I ever have! In an effort to become a “well rounded” cook, I decided to focus on the creation of home baked goods, maybe a sweet treat or two, so I thought I would try some vegan cookies. Well, I had some issue with the cookies especially the whole vegan thing... (I am only a few months into being vegan) I had to figure out what I would use in place of eggs, milk etc. It was a challenge for me; so needless to say, I messed up a few times. By the 3rd batch the cookies got better and the 4th batch was wonderful... but not at all “cookie like” they were more like mini chocolate chip scones! They were delicious, we all loved them! So I decided to forego the whole cookie idea and play with a scone recipe. I pulled up a recipe for a traditional scone and replaced all the ingredients with organic and vegan friendly ingredients then, I just started to create. The end result... these awesome yum-licious vegan chocolate chip scones, aka Christine’s accidental scones!

I was so excited about my creation, and flattered when people started asking for the recipe so... here it is... my "award winning" vegan chocolate chip scones!  Enjoy!


"AWARD WINNING" VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP SCONES
(Christine's Accidental Scones)

RECIPE: 
1 cup of organic raw sugar or
1/4 cup of Agave Nectar
1/2 cup Earth Balance buttery spread
2 tsp organic vanilla extract
3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup carob chips, if you prefer chocolate chips, try vegan friendly semisweet chocolate chips. A good brand I have used is the Enjoy Life dairy, nut and soy free semi sweet chocolate chips available at whole foods.

Preheat oven to 350

Using a hand mixer or a fork, mix together, Earth Balance and sugar (or agave nectar), add vanilla and almond milk (or coconut milk) and mix until well blended.

In a separate bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients except the chocolate chips. Add the dry mix to the wet mix and combine together, and then add the chocolate chips. Continue mixing until blended together. The batter should be smooth, moist and fluffy.


Using your hands or a serving spoon, scoop up a small portion of the batter and from into a "scone shape" by gently forming the dough into a 7 or 8 inch wide circle (think hamburger patty) that is about 3/4 - inches thick. If you wish, you can use a knife to cut each scone into triangles; or continue to form the shape with your hands. Place on a cookie sheet that has been gently sprayed or lined with parchment paper, about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden brown, approximately 15 to 17 minutes. Best served warm or at room temperature.
*Makes 6-8 scones.



ENJOY!

No comments: