Monday, September 10, 2012

Mack and Cheese... maybe...

Made this over the weekend!


 Looks good right?! It was great!! And.... it’s Vegan! It was amazing!! No one could believe there was not any actual cheese in this Mac and Cheese! I picked up the recipe from a great blog called "That was Vegan?"  I added a little Braggs nutritional yeast to take the cheesy taste up another notch. It was Delish and healthy!!

If you are looking for comfort food without the calories, fat and cholesterol this is the one to try! If you are thinking about converting to a Vegan or Vegetarian lifestyle this is a great intro to what yummy stuff can be created without using animal products! Give this dish a try! Even our children approved this one!

Helpful tips to keep in  mind when making this recipe... I tried roasting my own butternut squash, I made too much so the first batch was more butternut squashy vs cheesy. For the second batch I went with the frozen butternut squash I say go that route, the recipe calls for 10 oz of butternut squash and the frozen package is exactly 10 oz so, no opportunity to screw up.  Also, I am a lazy cook so I put all the following ingredients in the blender
  • 2 T Earth Balance
  • 3 T flour
  • 2 cups vegetable stock
  • 10-12 ounces of butternut squash, thawed
  • 1 cup soy cream
Then I poured it all in the pot to heat it up, and I tossed in the following ingredients:
  • 1 small sweet onion very finely diced
  • 1 bag  Daiya cheddar
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 
  • 1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon Herbamere (or salt of your choice)
  • Pepper to taste
Once the ingredients came to a bubble I began to slowly add the Braggs Nutritional Yeast one table spoon at a time to taste, and then finally perfected the seasoning, sea salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.

Here is the link to the full recipe: 

Butternut Squash Mac n’ Cheese 

 ENJOY!!

2 comments:

Barb@ThatWasVegan said...

I really need to make this again... And I'm so glad you like it so much! :)

C.I.P. (Christine In Progress) said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe Barb! Not only does my family love it, I have cooked this for others and changed their minds about going vegan. "That Was Vegan?" Yes it was! =)